CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Geometry and 3-D Shapes

I feel like we have been all over the place this week.  I just wanted to share with you what we've been doing.  In Math 6, we spent the week working with 3-D shapes.  Some kids have never worked with them before.  A prism has how many bases?  What about a pyramid?  How do you name them?  I think they have a pretty good understanding of this now.  First I must say that I get of alot of great help from Teachers Pay Teachers.  For this unit, the 6th grade used this.

 They had to cut the 3-D shapes out and place them in the correct category.  We also learned how to name them based on the polygon shape of the base(s). 


After we learned the basics of the shapes, we created them using nets.  OK - some kids found this easier than others.  After a couple of days of reviewing and studying, we have a physical quiz.  This quiz requires them to remove the correct shape from a bag within 5 seconds of me stating the shape's name.  Pyramids and prisms can get tricky when you have to be able to identify them fast.


Before their quiz, they had some time to quiz each other.  


The band did a really great job on Saturday at the C.A.R.E. Assembly in the Park.  Thanks so much to the parents and supporters that came out to listen.  I wish I had some pictures of that.  I took my camera but it sat on the stage with me and never made it out to take any pics.  Thanks to Mrs. S for bringing the clips to keep our music from blowing away.  Can't believe I didn't think of that.  You'll be hearing some of those songs again at our concert in a couple of weeks.  We have a few rehearsals to "tweak" our performance.

Don't forget the final copy (with the plan and rough draft) of their book report is due tomorrow!  I look forward to reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment